Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Fixer Upper


Like you care, but...
 I burned up my favorite non stick skillet several months ago when I was paying attention to several things besides the skillet. It is the skillet that gets used the most, the one with a handle on both sides which cooks up excellent tortillas among almost everything else. It was a spendy little item, which added to the tragedy.

The skillet now has a dulled interior and some kind of crud that does not seem to scrub off for love or money. I have washed the skillet 20 times, trying to repair or revert it back to its original condition to no avail. It looks weird. Food sticks to it. It just doesn't have the "Joie de Vive" that it used to. Its a sad skillet. Disfigured. I was thinking of giving up, but I am no quitter.

Tonight, (instead of making the pies I am supposed to be making) I researched how to repair a skillet such as mine and I learned that I am not alone in this world. Skillet burner-uppers are everywhere and had tried many of the methods I had exhausted.  There was a laundry list of new ideas from baking soda to toothpaste offered. I created my own concoction of cleaning agents into a paste and worried only slightly about the chemical reaction that was occurring in the pan my delicate lady hands were in. Not to worry, at least it is close to Halloween.
just kidding..


As I scrubbed the dickens out of my favorite pan, I thought about all of the things in my life that I wish I could fix with a simple(?) concoction and a lot of elbow grease. I really wish some things could return to their original and better functioning state. I gain a lot of satisfaction when I think things are as they should be.

Sadly, most of the things going on in the world are even more complicated and stubborn to solve than my pan funk.

So...I guess I am off to make pies.

No comments: