Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Beautiful Death

Before go get all analytical on my arse...Special Agent does not need a divorce lawyer (Mom...). 

This work of FICTION was an assignment from The Red Writing Hood that said "Your assignment for this week's prompt is to write a piece that begins with the line, "I could never have imagined" and ends with the line, "Then the whole world shifted." I think it is a 

pretty typical take, but I am not usually a fiction girl, so give me some cred.




*********************************************************************************




I could never have imagined how much I could love him. 


I longed for him.
Needed him.
Ached for him.


..had that minuscule peek of a smile when my thoughts drifted to the smell of his collar, which was often.


Hung on the phone like a mooning schoolgirl after we said goodbye, looking at the speaker as if I could see his voice in it. 


We became close.
We became a couple.


We cultivated "couple friends" and saw movies and had dinner in pairs, like animals on the Arc. We talked and sent messages to one another all through the day, sometimes allowing the suggestiveness of later to slip in.  When he asked me to marry him, I could barely understand the depth, but I said yes anyway. 


There would be no going without this man.


Plans were made.
Details toiled over.


I didn't really care about the how, when and why of GETTING married, more concentrated on BEING married, cleaved to one another for life.


We held hands at the alter.
He kissed the bride.


We worked at careers, supported each other in our successes and failures. Made love all day Sunday, amidst the crinkling of the newspaper covered bed. 


We had a child.
And then another.
And yet another.


They made our love brighter, and we nearly burst with it. 
Nearly. 


And then the whole world shifted.





8 comments:

NerdyRedneck Rob said...

Good writing.

I can never control my inspiration. "write a story NOW?" Nope. For me it just pops when it pops.

I admire that you can do that.

Anonymous said...

Excellent! Your next random fiction prompt should pick up where this left off. You might end up with a full blown short story!

Christi said...

Great job! I keep reading writing prompts and thinking I should give one a try, but I just keep putting it off.

Random Girl said...

This is great. The moments captured, the feelings they stir. How things progressed. Great job!

Bushman said...

Well done. Question is....has he read it?
Writing like that is meant to be read by the one who inspires.
I suggest a bottle of wine, a light dinner, plenty of candles and some Barry White!

Nicki said...

I adore where it ends, just the way it is.

The Onion said...

Thanks to all for the nice comments. It was fun to branch out a little from my usual drivel.

Emily said...

I LOVE it! You are an excellent writer. I really enjoyed reading your post. : )